Amazon Web Services (AWS) is a comprehensive cloud computing platform provided by Amazon. The first AWS offer was launched in 2006 to provide online services for client websites and applications. Meanwhile, this service is available in 190 countries around the world.
To minimize the impact of downtime and ensure system stability, AWS is organized into regions with different data centers. The region has a central hub in North America (Eastern and Western US), South America (Sao Paulo, Brazil), Europe / Middle East / Africa (EU: Ireland, Frankfurt), and Asia Pacific (Asia Pacific and Asia Pacific region) China).
The AWS portfolio includes more than three dozen different web services, including:
1. Amazon Cloud Drive allows users to upload and access music, videos, documents, and photos from devices connected to the Internet. This service allows users to stream music and videos on their devices.
2. Amazon CloudSearch is a scalable search service that is usually used to integrate special search capabilities into applications.
3. The Amazon Dynamo Database (also known as DynamoDB or DDB) is a fully managed NoSQL database service that offers low latency and high scalability.
4. Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud 2 (EC2) is a web service that allows business customers to run applications in scalable computing capacity. Practical EC2 functions as an unlimited number of virtual machines (VMs).
5. Amazon ElastiCache provides a fully managed caching service that is compatible with the protocol with Memcached, an open-source caching system to speed up dynamic applications by reducing database load. In addition, ElastiCache provides Redis an open source database in memory, which supports records and sorted lists.
6. Amazon Mechanical Turk is a developer service to access Human Intelligence resources when creating applications. The API allows human intelligence to be entered into remote procedure calls (RPC) by using a network of people for tasks that do not match the computer.
7. Amazon Redshift is a petabyte data warehouse service designed for analytical workloads that works with standard SQL clients and Business Intelligence (BI) tools.
8. Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) is a scalable storage that allows you to store and retrieve any amount of data. This service is used to secure and archive data and applications.
All AWS offers will be charged according to consumption. Prices vary depending on service.
This is the main ingredient of AWS Cloud Computing
1. Cloud Server:
AWS users can access virtual servers (= EC2, Elastic Compute Cloud). Operating systems include Linux or Microsoft Windows distribution. Billing depends on the duration (hours or seconds), memory used or computing units.
Companies can theoretically store large amounts of data arbitrarily through AWS and only pay for the storage space used. Storage takes place through S3 file generating services, access via HTTP / HTTPS.
Content from the AWS service (eg EC2 or S3) is sent through CloudFront, a Content Delivery Network (CDN). Global distribution reduces access time. In addition to individual files, all domains can be provided, depending on configuration, including SSL encryption on request.
With SimpleDB and Relational Database Services (RDS), there are two virtual databases to choose from, the first more for "simple" storage. The RDS virtual database is based on MySQL, Microsoft SQL Server or Oracle.
5. Development Tools
From development to analysis, debugging, testing and deployment, AWS has all the tools developers need.
6. AWS Marketplace
A growing set of software provided by independent vendors. Here are also many applications from the IoT, AI or Big Data fields to be found.
- Cost efficiency: AWS is considered quite cheap and you only pay for the services that you actually use. The previous investment costs were completely eliminated.
- Availability: To apply new ideas, your development team can immediately access services and react quickly to changes in the market.
- Network: AWS Cloud is currently available in 18 geographical regions in 54 Availability Zones. Because the transmission line is short, latency is low.
- Options: AWS users have access to a growing number of services.
- Flexibility: Capacity can be added or removed flexibly at any time. This allows agile and measurable actions.
- Orientation: Various services can be a little confusing at first.
- Consultation: Especially for small and medium-sized companies, AWS hardly offers consulting services. However, it is possible to use external service providers such as managed public cloud providers or consulting companies.
AWS Cloud: Security and Compliance
Because the data center is operated by Amazon and users usually do not know where the service is ordered, AWS is repeatedly faced with data security issues. Not in vain the company advertises on websites with security certifications, encryption, hardware security modules and more. In addition, according to AWS, they attach great importance to compliance and conduct identity checks, for example.
However, for projects that are very sensitive or data storage companies in Germany, it might be appropriate to use a hybrid cloud that includes AWS and private cloud. Sensitive information can then be stored in the private cloud. Data exchange is easy to do at any time through the appropriate interface.
AWS Managed Cloud
Regarding the rapid implementation of innovative developments and functions, hundreds of thousands of customers rely on AWS Cloud Computing. Ideas can be implemented very quickly and above all with low risk (finance, resources). It is not absolutely necessary to build deep cloud expertise in your own company. Managed public cloud providers help you determine optimal cloud resources for your specific needs, plan settings, and migrate applications. In subsequent operations, external service providers also took over management and support.