Three terms above may be common to you, especially when you want to build a website. If you are looking for services for web providers in search engines, then you will find the term Cloud Server, VPS, and Web Hosting. Then what's the difference? Then which one suits your needs? The following is an explanation of the three terms.
Web hosting is a service that rents out space for your web-based application, where you can use the domain name that you have to be directed to the application. You will be given management facilities to manage your website. The platforms provided are also various, usually PHP and mySQL databases. This service has the cheapest price, but is limited to the available platforms. In addition, service providers generally only provide 1 physical server shared with other customers, causing slow access to your website.
VPS (Virtual Private Server)
VPS or also called Virtual Private server is a method for partitioning or dividing resources (resources) of a physical server into several virtual servers. And the virtual server has the ability to run the operating system itself like a physical server.
The advantages of using VPS are:
- Flexible - You can install software on the VPS according to your wants and needs
- You will have ROOT access, where by having this access, you can do anything about your VPS
- Resource guarantee (CPU, RAM and Space)
- You will not be expelled by the hosting because it uses WP-Robot or the like.
The disadvantages of VPS are:
- You must have more knowledge about using Linux or Windows servers. Because hosting doesn't help with this, unless you use managed services
- More expensive than share hosting
- The more you need large resources, the more costs will be incurred
What is a cloud server? This cloud server technology is different from the two technologies above. Cloud technology allows several servers to become "one" to function as storage (virtual disks), several other servers (Host) on "one" will function as computing nodes (virtual CPUs). In other words, cloud servers don't have specification limits so you can increase storage, memory, and processors to your heart's content.
Cloud Server has four main advantages compared to traditional VPS.
- Flexibility is almost limitless in terms of resource size.
- Upgrade resources in an instant, sometimes without even needing a reboot.
- Significantly has better redundancy
- Centralized redundant storage
- Besides the advantages above, cloud servers also have the following disadvantages:
The confidentiality of data is not guaranteed to depend on the company providing the service provider. Always there is a risk that user data is accessed by other people who are not interested.
The level of security is not guaranteed
Using the cloud system means that you fully trust the security and confidentiality of your data to the cloud provider. So when it's very important to know about the reliability of cloud service providers for your online-based information system services.